Utilities & Infrastructure
Three electrical utility companies, Minnesota Power, Lake Country Power, and the North Itasca Electric Cooperative, operate in Itasca County. With experience serving some of the nation’s largest industrial customers, they are ready to work with the needs of any business and are strong partners in local economic development.
Minnesota Energy Resources is the primary natural gas provider in Itasca County. It serves communities across the state and plays an active role in regional economic development.
IEDC has been a leader in advocating for the expansion of broadband across Itasca County, which now covers vast rural swaths of the county in addition to its towns. 15 providers operate within the county, including speeds well over 100 Mbps from Paul Bunyan Communications and Mediacom.
- Itasca County is well-connected to major markets thanks to a strong transportation network, including:
- Federal highway connections to the Twin Cities, Duluth, and Fargo metro areas
- Two Class I railroads: BNSF and CN
- A general aviation airport in Grand Rapids, plus easy access to commercial airports in nearby Hibbing, Duluth, and the Twin Cities
- Foreign Trade Zone status available through the Duluth Seaway Port Authority